Hello there and happy new year! I hope you all had an amazing start :) I must confess, I completely slowed down during the holidays and my "mojo" is still very mucho in hibernation mode.
Before I go and dust off my little craft space (read: I closed the doors to the chaos on the 25th and never opened said door until a few minutes ago), I want to tell you about a new class that's coming to the Studio Calico Classroom in Feburary: On the Grid! The fabulous Marcy Penner is the head teacher for this class and I call myself lucky to be one of the contributors. Yay!
Here's what the class description says:
Save your projects from falling flat - learn how to give each one a solid foundation with On the Grid. Marcy Penner shares her secrets for using a grid based design to create perfectly pulled together projects in a flash.
You'll get Marcy's expertise in multiple areas to create the perfect base for your projects by exploring using basic grids, playing with design through the use of tags and other materials, and getting out of the square format by experimenting with other shapes or stamps.
On the Grid offers the blueprint to success - no heavy equipment needed.
By enrolling in this class you'll receive:
24 all new projects (each sharing a different take on the grid) from Marcy and her contributors.
- 4 videos and 4 in depth tutorials sharing Marcy's grid design secrets.
- Step out photos that show how the contributor's projects came together.
- Printable accents, labels and digital die cut files from Hello Forever.
- Access to a class message board and gallery, where you can share and learn with your teacher and fellow students.
- Weekly challenges to inspire you to use what you've learned.
While supplies last, On the Grid students will receive a bonus class kit containing enamel dots, die cuts, stickers and a veneer grid. This kit will ship for free, no matter where you are. NOTE: This bonus class kit will begin shipping in mid January. Anything that you order along with the class will be held and shipped with the kit - if you'd like the rest of your supplies earlier, please check out with them separately.
April Foster, Dana Fleckenstein, Emma Wood, Geralyn Sy, Jamaica Edgell, Karen Baker, Kelly Noel, Lea Lawson, Lisa Spangler, Lisa Truesdell, Melanie Louette, Magdalena Hanell, Pam Baldwin
What you'll need:
This class is a great resource for digging into your stash of kits and exploring the design tricks behind using a grid based design as the foundation of your project. Here are a few things you'll want to have to get started:
- Patterned paper - Grid based designs are a great way to use up your scraps!
- Embellishments - We'll be adding some embellishment clusters to our grid designs, so look for a mix of larger stickers and die cuts and small accents like enamel dots and sequins.
- Stamps - Any of your favorite designs will work, but designs with simple shapes will be the most versatile.
- Die Cuts and Punches - Many grid based designs call for repetition of shapes. Die cuts and punches are a quick and easy way to build a grid!
- Tags & frames - These are both great items to start off your grid designs.
This might just be what I (we?) need to get the creative juices going and work on the stash (after all CHA is just around the corner). Hop over to the Studio Calico website to sign up for On the Grid - see you in the classroom!